03 Dec How to find the best interior design for your home to share your unique style
We all have a singular style. We are made of a combination of elements that makes us truly unique. We like things a certain way and we have our own specific point of view. Some things make us feel good, while others make us feel more on edge. There is no need to explain why we like one color over the other, for example. It’s just like that.
Your house is your safe space and you want to make sure it reflects exactly who you are.
Interior design has the magic power to talk directly to your emotions. Your style doesn’t need to be logical. It doesn’t need to be trendy. But it does need to be you.
Your interior design can help you to create a universe that fits exactly what is happening inside your head and body. The more your environment is going to be aligned with yourself, the more comfortable you will feel and the more energy you will gain.
Are you ready to make your home look and feel just like you? Ask yourself these questions.
Writing down the answers to these questions can help you to better understand the type of environment you want and need.
- Make a list of your values. What causes are close to your heart? They can be big and small.
- Do you care for the environment, for the animal cause, for human rights,…
- Do you want to share more positivity into the world, more inspiration?
- Are you connected to nature? To music? To art?
- Do you have a passion for the world and other cultures?
- What are your current qualities and which ones would you like to expand?
- Are you a highly motivated person and want to share that with people around you?
- Are you a quiet person that brings calm to the group?
- Are you a compassionate person and take good care of others?
- What is your favorite thing about your house?
- What is your favorite room and why?
- When you think about your house, what are you excited about? And what would you like to improve?
- If you were to describe your PERFECT home, what would it be? (Dare to dream big)
When I meet with clients, I ask them to show me things in order to understand their preferences and styles.
- Show me what you love about your home.
- Show me what frustrates you.
Make a Mood Board
Those are very important questions to know before undertaking any design work. As interior designers, we take time to understand who you are and what you stand for so we can reflect that in your space.
Our goal is to make your space looks singular and uniquely YOU.
Having words to describe it is important. But as you know a picture is worth a thousand words. So start picturing it and create a mood board for your dream vision.
You can cut things into magazines or make a Pinterest board, a houzz.com idea book… whatever you feel more comfortable doing. Pin everything that you like and that feels like you.
This will help envision how your home could look. You might come across ideas you thought would be great, but actually don’t fit the rest of your plan. Or you might discover other ideas.
When working with a designer, you also should make a board of designs you don’t like. It helps me to see what you love and what you hate.
Get inspiration everywhere you go
Every time you go to a café, a restaurant, a friend’s house, note the things that you like and the ones that you don’t particularly enjoy. Don’t only think in terms of “how pretty is it?” Also note if it is convenient, comfortable, easy to use.
Match up your personality with your design
Don’t confuse a pretty design with a design that’s perfect for you. If you are a casual, friendly, warm, inviting person and your home is minimalistic, efficient, and sober, this means your space isn’t aligned correctly. It might be a very beautiful interior but one that is not representing you correctly. And this will soon feel out of alignment.
You want your space to be authentic. Don’t just follow the latest trend. If it doesn’t speak to you, don’t force it! This will make you more authentic and bring more integrity to your space because you are embracing your value in all aspects of your style.
You will be surprised to see how a change in your interior design affects your entire life. Your mood will brighten up when you wake up in the morning in a room that feels cozy. You will feel different when you come back home after a long day at work being surrounded by a decoration that lights up YOUR mood.
If you need help putting all your creative ideas into your space OR if you need help understanding your style, we’re an interior design firm in Richmond, Virginia, that’s here for you. Contact us today.